In the examination of the stool the following will be researched:
- Color, quantity, odor and firmness (firm or diarrhoea)
- Presents of blood and/or mucus
- A small amount of stool is placed in a saline solution, after which by flotation parasites (among others worm eggs and coccidiosis) can be detected with a microscope. Worm eggs and parasites start floating in the saline and are easy to “catch”.
- With the aid of a Snap®-test a Giardia infection can be detected.
- Furthermore, all kinds of digestion tests may contribute to research into the functioning of intestines, liver and pancreas.
The stool tests often lead to a diagnosis, but additional research is often needed.